Selasa, 25 Januari 2011

A great start for a what looks to be a great series

printed pencil skirt review Etiquette Espionage Finishing School Carriger

Etiquette Espionage Finishing School Carriger

Like Harry Potter at Hogwarts, when Sophronia Temminnick enters Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality she is an outsider. The other girls have inherited their placements at the school and have known all their lives they would be attending, but Sophronia never knew a floating academy with instruction in both etiquette and espionage existed until she rode through its doors on the back of one of her new professors, a proper Victorian werewolf who is nonetheless capable of leaping high enough to reach the school's drifting campus. Fortunately, Sophronia's lack of experience in spy-work and intrigue is compensated for by her skill at discovering and making ingenious use of opportunities.

This first book in Gail Carriger's new series is set twenty years earlier than the Parasol Protectorate, but it's in the same paranormally enhanced Victorian England and I'm thrilled that younger versions of some of the characters from those previous books have prominent roles. There are a lot of mechanical descriptions of the steampunk aspects of the story--robotic servants on tracks and the structure of floating academy--which got me off to a little bit of a slow start with the book, but very soon I was captivated by the delights of its charming characters, elaborate plot, and witty banter.

Get your Etiquette Espionage Finishing School Carriger Now!

2 komentar:

  1. I once read a historical novel that was part of a series. All of the female characters in the books went to a finishing school or etiquette school that was actually a disguise for triaining them as spys/detectives or something of the sort. I enjoyed it, returned it to the library, and promptly forgot the name, author and other details that might help me find the rest of the series. Can anyone help?

    BalasHapus
  2. I mostly read young adult books and classics but just recommend anything. I love book series and I love historical fiction. Also I might add that my favorite book series of all time are The Mortal Instrument and The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare. So if you know any books similar or think I would like based on my love for these books please feel free to recommend. Thanks!

    BalasHapus